FAQ

ePortfolios Frequently Asked Questions

Below are frequently asked questions about ePortfolios at San Francisco State. 

Click a category listed below to jump to a section.

General

What is an ePortfolio?

An electronic portfolio, or ePortfolio, is your own personal online platform that can bridge your academic work and professional development.  You can use your ePortfolio to present evidence of  your skills, competencies, career goals, and professional --interests.  An ePortfolio allows you to easily share and connect with teammates, peers, faculty and potential employers.

What ePortfolio platform is San Francisco State using?

In Spring 2016, San Francisco State adopted Portfolium for all students campus-wide. 

How is an ePortfolio different from LinkedIn?

SF State is providing students with an opportunity to create their own personal online ePortfolio (Portfolium) to showcase their academic work and present evidence of  their skills, competencies, professional goals, and interests via file uploads and embedded multimedia. 

Portfolium can be used in conjunction with LinkedIn, as it allows students and recent grads to showcase their experiences with multi-media content and then embed and share these entries onto their LinkedIn profile, enhancing their presence on the professional networking platform.  The choice to connect with LinkedIn is entirely up to the student.

Back to top

For Students

How do I sign up for my SF State Portfolium Account?

SF State students should have recieved an email inviting them to activate their Portfolium accounts.  Click on the unique link in the email and you will be brough to the sign in page to activate your account.

What if I didn’t receive a Portfolium email?

Students who didn’t receive their invitation email can still sign up at sfsu.portfolium.com.  Choose SFSU LOGIN and use your SF State email password when you see the SF State login page.

How long do I get to keep my Portfolium ePortfolio?

You are the owner of the site and it is yours to keep past your time at SF State.

What is the cost of Portfolium to me?

Your ePortfolio is free for you now AND after graduation.     

Is there any security for the ePortfolio?

Yes. You have the option to make your entire ePortfolio private or specific entries private.  You can share private entries with a specific URL.  You may also make it only visible to your connections.  Portfolium's help document on privacy.

Will my ePortfolio appear in search engines such as Google?

If your ePortfolio is Public, yes, it is searchable.

How can I prevent others from stealing my work or plagiarizing it?

Each entry is marked with a line that says this is the property of you.  We also suggest that you create PDF’s of important assignments/papers, which helps to keep them from being copied. However, we are in a new era with web publishing.  You many want to explore using Creative Commons licensing for any images work that you want to protect or selectively share.

Am I required to have a Portfolium account?

Students may opt out of using Portfolium unless you are a student in a program that is using ePortfolios as a requirement.  If you would like to unsubscribe from recieving further invitation emails, click the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of the email.

Is Portfolium sharing any of my information?

Portfolium is not sharing your information, but you can link your ePortfolio with other social networking sites that may share your information.

Can I save or export my Portfolium?

You can export entries as a PDFs.  Otherwise the ePortfolio lives on the Portfolium site.

Can I delete/deactivate my Portfolium Account?

You can deactivate your Portfolium in the settings section of the ePortfolio.  Go to Portfolium's use guide for help.

Can I have 1:1 support with my Portfolium account?

AT offers workshop for programs/departments using ePortfolios but doesn’t offer 1:1 support for students.  The career center may begin offering support  sessions for students as well later in the Spring 2016 Semester.

Can I change my cover photo?

You can change your cover photo in your Profile Settings.

Do I need to put a picture of myself on my ePortfolio?

You are not required to put a photo of yourself. You can leave it with your initials in the placeholder.  For best practices in creating a professional profile, it’s advised to put a professional photo of oneself, but not a photo of pets or other non-professional images.

Where can I get help with my ePortfolio?

You can find ePortfolio support documents relating to program workshops through Academic Technology's help site.  You can find further Portfolium support on Portfolium's help site.

Contact your program or department for help with assignments and entry content. 

Back to top

For Faculty

How can I implement ePortfolios in my class?

Academic technology consults with faculty in programs that are using ePortfolios across the discipline.  If your class is in a program that has adopted ePortfolios, Academic technology will provide workshops and/or workshop materials for a gateway course in your program to help students get started.

If your program is not using ePortfolios across the discipline, your students can still access the Portfolium ePortfolio and create entries to showcase signature assignments or projects.  Please contact us at eport@sfsu.edu if you'd like access to our Faculty ePortfolio Quickstart guide that provides links to help documents and best practice tips for supporting your students in reflective learning with ePortfolios.

How can I implement ePortfolios in my department or program?

If your department is interested in implementing ePortfolios in your program, we'd be happy to talk with you!  Start by consulting our faculty information page and email us at eport@sfsu.edu schedule a consultation with our ePortfolio team.

Can I schedule a workhshop for my class?

If your program is using ePortfolios across the discipline, your program faculty should sign up for the onboarding workshops through our sign-up form which is sent out at the beginning of the Fall and Sping semesters.  If your program or department has adopted ePortfolios with the support of Academic Technology and you have not recieved the form, please contact us at eport@sfsu.edu.

Where can my students get help with ePortfolios?

You can find ePortfolio support documents relating to our program workshops through Academic Technology's help site.  You can find further Portfolium support on Portfolium's help site.

Back to top