The questions below will help you consider how your department wants to start an ePortfolio project.
Describe your ePortfolio Project
- Will ePortfolios be used at Program/Department and Campus levels?
- What are your core goals in using ePortfolios with students? [Formative/summative assessment; Capstone/culminating project, professional development, demonstrating examples of work linked to departmental/institutional goals/competencies or GE Outcomes, showcase portfolios for employers, all of the above?]
- Can you identify "gateway" (starting) and "capstone" (or culminating) courses to introduce and complete the ePortfolio process for your department? [It also helps to identify "signature or key" assignments from program courses and to require portfolios.]
During the course or program—Implementing ePortfolios
- What knowledge, skills, and values/reflections will you want students to share in their portfolios? [If you have a preliminary outline of "ingredients", themes, competencies, signature/example projects or artifacts that you will require, please share the outline. Even a brief overview or simple first draft outline will be useful. E.g. 1) Home/Welcome Page; 2) Philosophy or Mission Statement 3) Academic Work/Core Academic Competency samples; 4) Leadership Skills, Co-Curricular Activities; 5) Resume/CV/Contact]
- What types of media/artifacts/evidence do you want students to use/archive to demonstrate competencies in these areas? [Signature assignments/documents, PPT presentations, multimedia (audio/ video/images), websites/links, observation logs or reports completed by experts in your field etc.]
- What resources will you need to support students who are creating/ uploading various media?
- Are there examples of ePortfolios (from other institutions or programs) that you are aware of (especially in your discipline) that might serve as good examples for your project?
- What standards/processes for evaluation of ePortfolios will you use? (Peer review, rubrics, and "signature" assignment collection and scoring, keywords/tags related to core competencies, instructor comment boxes, etc.)
- Do you have rubrics already developed that you can use or adapt to evaluate student ePortfolios?
- Will multiple faculty or external reviewers need to look at the portfolios?
- Is the creation of a durable archive of student ePortfolios important to your ePortfolio project?