Using Images in your ePortfolio
What are some ethical questions to consider when adding a photo in your eportfolio?
Who took the photo?
- Whoever took the photo owns it
- The owner gets to decide whether and how it can be used
- If you can use it, you have to give them credit for their work
Who's in the photo?
- Respect and protect others' privacyand safety
- When in doubt, ask if it's ok to use the photo
What does the photo communicate?
- Consider responsible representation
- How do you want to portray yourself to others and what impression do you want to create?
If you want to use photos that you have taken, it would be a good idea to put in the caption (when editing the project)
stating that you have reserved all the rights to this photo and that you are the creator.
Consider looking for free open-source photos that are under creative commons licensing and allow users to use them for free.
The Creative Commons search engine has more than 500k images that you can choose from.